Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lemon-Lime Teasecake


One of my favorite vegan cookbook authors is Jo Stepaniak. If you haven't already checked out her multiple cookbooks, or her website, "Grassroots Veganism", I urge you to do so today! One of my favorite recipes from her "Vegan Vittles" cookbook is Lemon Teasecake, developed by acclaimed vegan chef Francis Janes, former owner of Ambrosia, a vegan restaurant in Seattle. I was pleasantly surprised to find a slightly different version of this same dessert here, in this case "Lemon-Lime Teasecake" (page 456). The most amazing thing about this "cheesecake", and what nobody would likely ever guess, is that the main ingredient is cooked millet! Cooked millet has similar properties to cooked polenta, in that it firms up quite nicely after cooling down. In this recipe, the cooked millet is processed in a high speed blender with cashews, lemon and lime juices, agave nectar, vanilla and lemon extract. This mixture is poured into a nutty crust, and allowed to chill for several hours before serving. Be prepared for the most pleasant surprise of your life when you take your first bite, you will be astounded! I like to add a spoonful of cherry pie filling to each slice for a special treat, but you could also just use the slivered almonds as a garnish as suggested in the recipe.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My Notes:
1. Because the crust recipe provided here calls for ¼ cup of canola oil, and I couldn't think of anyway around this, I opted to use another crust recipe I have that is nut based, but without any added oil.
2. In both versions of this recipe the cooking directions call for cooking the millet for 50 minutes. I have never had to cook it this long. Start checking it after 30 minutes. Millet will really stick to your pot if you cook it for too long, or run out of cooking liquid.
3. The filling in this version of the recipe makes about two cups more than would fit in the crust. I poured the extra into a bowl, chilled it, and served it sans crust, like a lemon pudding.
 
 

"Keeping it McDougall Friendly" checklist:
ΓΌ  Make or buy an oil free crust. Especially good is a graham cracker style crust if you can find or make an oil free version.

9 comments:

  1. I must try this! What recipe did you use for the crust?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ines! The recipe I used for the crust is called "Raw Nut Crust" from the "Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook" by Jo Stepaniak. It is basically raw walnuts and almonds, plus dates, cinammon and cardamom. You can find the recipe online by copying the entire link below into your browser. Let me know if that works:

      http://books.google.com/books?id=6rTPl_JTVrUC&pg=PT174&lpg=PT174&dq=raw+nut+crust+recipe+jo+stepaniak&source=bl&ots=8LsWeQkeB5&sig=YfIiR-pFJ5YNWXEi0E_VwhcsK_k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OD5QU7-CMeWw2wXO5YDgAQ&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=raw%20nut%20crust%20recipe%20jo%20stepaniak&f=false

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot for the link! I've read great things about the book but didn't know it was available on Google Books.

      Delete
  2. I tried this one and when I added the millet it destroyed my Kitchen Aid blender..looks like it's time to go shopping. Sigh. It's in the refrigerator at the moment - we'll see if it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee!

      I'm so sorry to hear that your blender was ruined while making this recipe! Was it because the mixture was too hot, or did the blender get bogged down and overworked? I went through a number of blenders before I finally got my Vitamix, and I've been very happy with that for the last 8 years. I know there are lots of good blenders to choose from as well. I hope you find the Teasecake worth it, let me know!

      Take care,
      Becky

      Delete
    2. Looks like I'm still subscribed to the comments, so I'll add my expericence with this cake.

      I used my hand blender and had no problem with blending the millet. I cooked it for about 50 minutes and blended the filling in a glass container when it was still quite hot. Sorry to hear about the problems you ran into - I hope the cake at least tasted as good as mine did!

      Delete
    3. I think this is also because I'm not much of a cook. I added it straight out of the pan after cooking - must have been too hot. So I will learn. Your blog is inspiring me to GET IN THE KITCHEN. I switched to eating Engine2 / McDougle / Essylstyn eating and you've done all the work for me to get started. THANK YOU so much!!!!! I will keep at it.

      Delete
    4. Oops.... should have added how it came out. Husband liked it for his birthday. I gave it a 6/10. I think I would make it again. Next time wait for millet to cool.

      Delete
  3. Hi Renee! Thanks for letting me know how the Lemon-Lime Teasecake turned out, and I'm happy you'll consider trying it again. :-) I'm very happy that my blog has helped inspire you to move towards a Whole Foods Plant Based diet, that is awesome! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete